

This cake was done for fund raiser for one of my favorite people - that's why I did a cake when I always say no. It was WAY harder than I thought it would be (lots of catastrophies along the way) and cost WAY more for supplies than I thought (over $100) but it was worth it because it (almost) came out like I envisioned. It took me, counting baking the cake about 20 hours. I finished this morning at 4:00 a.m. Thats when I remember why I don't do cakes anymore! It does give one a sense of real accomplishment when you like the project you started. I hope they liked it. Actually I don't care if I like it as long as I liked it. (Arrogant artist.) I'm going to take a nap now because i'm getting a migraine from lack of sleep. Enljoy.
13 comments:
That is the coolest, most awesome cake I've ever seen!!! You amaze me!
WOW! That is seriously a work of art! I called my mama and had her check it out...she was floored, too. Amazing!
Totally awesome! Did you have to color your fondant yourself or can you buy it that way? I need to take lessons from you!
Aunt Sandy
You told me that you have been busy working on the cake and to check out your blog. I did. I gasped at how awesome it looks. Literally. Gasped! Move over Duff! You are the Ace of Cakes. The only thing you are missing is a staff of interesting people.
Who is the charity? Lucky them. Keep your receipt for tax purposes. I am sure you can claim your supplies, but do you think you can claim your time? You make me proud older sista!
Wow everyone is so nice! thanks all! Hey Aunt Sandy - how nice of you and Rachel to visit my blog!! I color my own fondant - I can't seem to find the right colors when i buy it already colored. So I endure everyone asking me, why are your hands pink/yellow/green? whatever color they happen to be that day.
Thanks for your response, Lisa. More questions for you--what colors did you use to color your fondant because they are so bright and colorful! What kind of cake is inside? How did you make the curlies? You're so talented!!!! Thanks again for sharing.
Love ya,
Aunt Sandy
That is SO BEAUTIFUL!!! WOW! I love it! I can't even imagine how exhausted you were after making that. That is some serious work! It's incredible!!
Since I love to talk shop - you can ask me anything! For the pink, it took me several tries to get it right - Wilton rose pink worked best for a bright pink. For the green I used the standard Wilton leaf green and kept adding lemon yellow color until it was bright enough. I made a batch too dark and had to add more white. The bows that look white are actually a really pale yellow (lemon yellow) Orange is just Wilton orange. I made the corkscrews by making a rope of gumpaste (all the flowers and curlies/corkscrews are gumpaste-sugarpaste - whatever you call it - Wilton premade) then I wound them around wooden skewers and stuck a heavy gauge wire (cut into about a3 inch length) into the bottom and let them dry overnight. For the other curlies, the ones used for stems and plain, I did the same thing as the corkscrews but looped the top into a tiny cirle and smashed it with my thumb sit was flat-ish so that I could put royal icing on it to stick to the daisies. Instead of corkscrewing them, I made a snake pattern, sort of zigzagging back and forth leaving a bit at the bottom to add wire. Thanks again for the compliments!!
Lisa, that is AMAZING. That has to be worth like 7 or 800 dollars, right? Wow.
I believe the phrase I am looking for is: "HOLY CRAP!"
That is awesome!
WOW! That is amazing. I get impatient even frosting a normal cake. That must have been a ton of work! Just out of curiosity: how much would that cost if someone bought it? Did the people eat it??? It's way to pretty to eat. You are so talented! It's amazing.
My calculations for a cake like that would be near $1000 with all the materials and labor. With your artistic talent, it would probably be worth more. Where did the artistic Moore gene come from?
Lisa! That is seriously amazing! I liked Yvonne's idea of using the picture of the cake to make a card...I'll commission Ryan to do it! Seriously, such a great cake!
Post a Comment