Monday, August 13, 2007

Days of 47 Parade




I am a terrible photographer but actually took a couple of decent ones during the Days of 47 parade. I was really dreading this parade, imagining the magnitude of it. How hard was it going to be to get her to the staging area, where would I find a place to watch and how would I possibly get a spot close enough to parade end so that she didn't have to schlep it for hours to get back to the car? I was even more stressed when I found out that last years Draper Royalty got a hotel room and brought a golf cart. It actually turned out to the be easiest most organized parade. I was able to to drive my car right up to the float and drop her off. Then I drove to the end of the parade, Liberty Park to find a spot. I decided I didn't care enough to watch the whole thing and didn't have a chair to sit in anyway. Luckily for the girls and me, their float was #28. So lucky! The parade is three hours long, could you imagine sitting at the staging area for 2 hours waiting for your turn to go? Anyway, I tried to find a place as close to the end as I could. I happened to find a spot next to Liberty Park but on 6th east, the west end of the park. I figured that was the best I could do. Their float came by, I watched, it was beautiful, then they turned into the park and drove on the road right next to my car and parked. Unbelievable. Too easy.




Couple of funny notes. They had people announcing the floats along the entire parade route. They were TV or Radio etc. You could tell what type of radio station based on how they were announced:

"BABES IN THE HOUSE!" - X96

reading the written description..."A Whimsical Float that...did I just say whimsical?" -KBER etc.

Along the route were weirdo with signs that rated the girls "10" etc or signs that said, "marry me". One idiot had a "show me your ****" Her "walkers" the guys that walk along side the float take really good care of them and they grabbed the guys sign and found the cops to get rid of him.

11 comments:

mandi said...

She looks so beautiful! I love her hair! That looks like a fun time - I'm glad it was so easy. I like how the float makes her look like an angel.

sugarbritches said...

Just a comment about her hair. I really love it too, I think its perfect for the "job". The funny thing is that after trial and error and makeovers etc., we decided to try ordinary 1980's hot curlers and that's all it is. Hot curlers, then flip the head down, spray, flip back up and spray. 5 seconds and we're done. funny huh? It was like I was getting ready for a stake dance all over again!

dishes and laundry said...

Gorgeous! This is such a unique, amazing thing that you get to do together. Couple of questions...
Is there anything to hold onto while the float is moving and does she ever worry about toppling over?

Where do you get all the clothes and the crown and such - Is it passed down? I doubt it, but just wondering.

That's cool that she gets man servants to watch out for her. Are they beck and call kind of guys or just protection stuff?

And lastly, do the girls get along?

Have fun!

yo mama said...

EVERY TIME I SEE HER SHE LOOKS MORE GORGEOUS (if that is even possible) Such fun times. . . I really wish we were there to support her!!!! We will be her Arizona support team!!!

sugarbritches said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dishes and laundry said...

Wow, this is like a full time job! I love hearing the inside scoop - thanks.

Montgomery Q said...

I would liek to apply for the job of runner or hair fluffer.

sugarbritches said...

Sorry, people are lining up for the hair fluffing job. As far as a runner goes, wasn't that you that had the "show us your Hooties" sign? I think it was....nice try.

Anonymous said...

Hillary looks amazing! I can already totally picture her as Miss America! So exciting!

Anonymous said...

So when is Miss Utah? Maybe I can come up and watch! That would be so fun!

sugarbritches said...

It's in June