Saturday, April 21, 2007

I'm officially a Crazy Cat Lady



Hillary's young lad friend works at a car dealership. He and his fellow detailers discovered newborn kittens in the bottom of the dumpster in the parking lot while looking for a part that was accidentally thrown out. They still have cords and probably only a day or two old. As soon as the kittens were discovered, the mother took off and never came back (crack ho welfare mama who don't know the baby daddy). This was on Wednesday, the day it rained and kind of snowed. When the mom never came back and the kitties got colder and wetter they finally called animal control, who brought over a cage, took the kitties out and put them in the cage with the door open, in hopes of luring and trapping the mother. She, of course was out gettin a new baby daddy, and ain't comin back. Her lad friend said the kittens were probably dead, they looked like it. Hillary and i were really stressed for the kitties and drove over there. The cage was on the ground and the nice boys had put a big cardboard over it to keep out the rain and snow but it didn't really help. When we looked in side of the cage, there were 4 tiny tiny kitties in a pile in the corner not moving. We got them out one by one and they were super cold and their tiny little mouths were frozen open. We rubbed them and they slightly moved. One kitty didn't make it, but we took the other three and got in our car. We rubbed them all over with a warm coat and put them up to the car heater until they were dry-ish. Then I did what all good mothers do, I put them in my cleavage, perfect spot to warm them up. I probably could have fit all four cats and the mom in my cleavage but no need, just the three kitties. Long story short, we still have all three kitties, we (Hillary and I) feed them round the clock every 2-3 hours with tiny kitty bottles. It's been hard but super rewarding and fun. I was sort of creeped about dumpster kitties, but they were so newborn that they were clean, and this dumpster is basically only for boxes. Just to be safe, once we passed the 24 mark I washed them with baby shampoo and dry them with a blow dryer every day, sometimes twice, due to poo accidents. The poo part is gross. APPARENTLY, they mother "takes care of" their poo while they are newborns. I prefer a baby wipe. Wish I had kitty diapers. Anyhoo, here are their pictures, the darkest one is Lily (possibly Frank though, not sure if we see two or three colors). He/she is super sweet and calm. The lightest one is Ella, she's fiesty and always wants to be first. The tiny one with the stripey face is Daisy, she is feisty but not as feisty as Daisy.

4 comments:

heidi said...

I'm so glad you saved them! They are so sweet - I want to come see.

wahwee said...

Is this your way of compensating for not being able to birth any more kiddies of your own? From barren to triplets. So nice of you. I (sort of) wish we could help you out and when they are ready and take one off your hands, but no go. The death of our last cat was just too much for us and our kids. Not ready yet. Plus, we are gone so much in the summer, I don't want to have to deal with neighbors taking care of our cat.

Are you serious about knowing the gender of the kittens? There is no way you could know that so soon. I am assuming you are just guessing so you can name them. To be safe, just name them Pat, Taylor and Alex. Good no-gender names.

Is Tom cool with it? How is Cayden with them? Is he cute with them, jealous or does he try to squeeze them like a water weenie?

sugarbritches said...

Yes, I've over compensating for new empty vessel. I am not certain about the gender but I thought that all calico (3 colors) were only girls. Maybe I better check my facts. Tom is not really cool with it, but hasnt really said a word about it, just "I don't want them in my bed" yeah ok whatever. Cayden mostly ignores them. He calls them the babies and initially wanted to help and hold them. I supervised him holding it but as soon as the claws got him we wasn't interested. sometimes he will hold the bottle and sometimes he reminds me it's time to feed the babies. The water weenie comment made me laugh and laugh, it's soo true!
As far as not taking another one, I understand more than I used to. Ella (formerly daisy in the photos - hillary changed the names) died last night and it was horrible. I can't really talk about it now because it makes me cry. She was fine then suddenly she became weak and listless She went down hill slowly and seemed to be in great deal of pain and unable to breathe and had blood in her mouth and nose. Hillary and I held her for hours while she slowly died. It was the probably thing I've ever been through. It was so awful. Hillary's lad stayed with us and he and hillary buried her at 3:30 am when she died. Bless his heart, I wasn't sure what to do. We are now really gun shy and paranoid about the other kitties who seem fine now. We panicked and tried to get hillary's friend whose family loves cats (they have 10) to take them because we just can't deal with another death, but they couldn't, so we will do and hope for the best.

mandi said...

Oh my gosh, that is so terrible! That's why I can't have pets - it makes me too sad when things go wrong with them. I'm so sorry! That is awful.

I can't believe how awesome you guys are by taking such good care of those little things. When we were first married, paul and I rescued two baby kittens, but after a day of them pooing everywhere, we let them "accidentally" run away. Poo is another reason I can't handle pets. Anyway, good job! At least you made Ella's last days full of love and warmth and care. Feel good about that!

PS. Your cleavage "kitty-containment system" made me laugh.