Thursday, March 16, 2006

May I have a Lobster Tail to Sample?

I have just found the epitome of cheapness & ridiculousness in a restaurant, which shall remain nameless, lets just call it Led Robster. Yesterday for our weekly "sister lunch" we chose "Led Robster". We love it, Natalie hates it, she wasn't going, hence the decision to choose it. It's Lobster week at the restaurant and they were featuring a Lobster Bisque. Being a huge Lobster fan I wanted to order it, however being a soup snob, I wanted to see it I liked it. I hate over processed fake tasting soups, it angers me to eat it. I asked the waitress if I could get a little taste of it, maybe put a tiny teaspoon in one of the little condiment cups. She looked instantly horrified at my request and said she didn't think she could. I thought maybe she thought I asked for a whole lobster to sample or a whole bowl to eat and then decide, so I repeated my request. I explained I just wanted a tiny bit, just to be sure it wasn't gross. She still looked troubled and said maybe she could just charge us for a cup and we could all share it and see if we liked it, kind of like a appetizer. I said no that wasn't what I wanted and never mind about the apparently "bizarre" request. She said she would ask the manager. I sat and awaited the "verdict" about my shocking request to "sample" the soup. She returned and explained that no, I could not sample the soup. Apparently it's "pre-portioned" out and there is none to spare, they couldn't spare a square or spoon of it. It's amazing, they are clairvoyant and somehow know EXACTLY how much bisque will be ordered each day, dole it out and never is there so much as teaspoon left over. How efficient! I, not wanting upset this delicate balance did not press the issue but took the risk and ordered a cup of the soup instead of salad "with a small 'upcharge' for the substitution". The soup was decent tasting, luckily. Other bizarre incidents ocurred at lunch which I won't bother to post as they had nothing to do with soup samples, but it wasn't a very pleasant lunch I must say. Oh well. PS. the icing on the cake was the "upcharge" of $2.99 for substituting the bisque for the salad. incredible. C'Est La Vie.

7 comments:

heidi said...

Okay, that is just stupid. And bad business. I hate it when restaurants do stupid things like that.

I had a bad experience at the Olive Garden last time we went. I asked if I could order a kids meal. I know I'm not supposed to, but come on, just this once? She just gave me a look like, "nope, can't do it". So she said, "I'll just get you the same thing, but in a BIG portion."

Awesome.

I was too annoyed to say anything, but ended up paying $12.50 for a gross meal that was only $4.95 in the smaller size.

Duh! You'd think these people would know better being 'tipped' for their services.

Loud Boy said...

(((((NO SOUP FOR YOU, ONE YEAR)))))

Mooryan said...

wow, thats crazy lisa, EVIL 'led robster'. as i was reading it to mom, the thought occured to me, you most likely are on that 'perplexed' waitresses' blog right now with the title..."What did she want next? A lobster Tail to Sample?" commenting on your rebelious attitude to overthrow the most perfect system of the world...the shrimp bisque alotment...

Mooryan said...

don't you love how it is really only us 5 that comment and talk?

Loud Boy said...

... Mrs. Loud Boy says . . . (I don't have my own account set up). Okay everyone. I am a first-time blogger responder. This stresses me. I will give it a try. I was there. A witness to this strange event. I wish you could have seen the look on the face of the waitress. You would have thought that Lisa asked her if she could dance naked around the lobster tank.

I appreciate Lisa being sensitive not to mention the rest of the upesetting lunch as she probably felt it was not her position. What I am assuming she was referring to was the phone call I received from Mike during lunch. He called to let me know that he just found out that a 2nd Grade teacher at our kids' elementary passed away that morning from an apparent heart attack. Very sad. Just made me sick to my stomach and I couldn't eat any more (well not much more). Luckily, she was not at the school, she was at home and either died at home or at the hospital. We knew her fairly well. She did not teach any of our children, but Ashby (last year) and Bronson (this year) knew her because she was their teacher for different rotations.

What a gloom and doom reply. I will be happier next time.

Heidi, I can't believe they charged you $12.50 for your dinner! That's outrageous. It did look gross. You could have had a much better meal for a lot cheaper. Sorry about that.

sugarbritches said...

Ok, just to shame myself further. The part about the death of the teacher was super sad, but embarrassingly enough, I was referring to the tip issue. How sad is that? Mom was dolling out her tip money, the waitress grabbed it in front of Mom and said, "is this for me?" without waiting for a reply, she took it. Tacky Tacky! I am sorry about the teacher though.

Jaime said...

The waitress did what? She seriously took money out of your moms hand? This whole story is so buggy that I don't know if I can go back to red lobster - even for those yummy cheese rolls. Did anyone else leave this lovely waitress a tip?