Sunday, January 06, 2008

Primary Fear

Today in Primary we discussed being "A Child of God". I talked about giving them a picture of Jesus to put by their bed to remind them they are a Child of God. One little boy, who is extremely serious, raised his hand and said, "We used to have a picture of Jesus by our bed but it scared us, so my Mom put it away". We all tried so hard not to laugh. Who does NOT want to be in primary - it's too funny.

7 comments:

Mooryan said...

reminds me of seth's story "Jesus is looking at me!" or something like that...ill let natalie or someone else who knows the story clarify and/or elaborate.

wahwee said...

I love it when kids share things that their parents would be emabrrassed of.

Remember when President Hinckley issued the Book of Mormon challenge? During that year at a primary activity the Primary President was talking to the children about the importance of reading the BOM, etc. One little girl raised her hand and shared with the group, "We don't read no scriptures at our house." Proud parents, I'm sure.

wahwee said...

Another funny church story. Yesterday in our ward we had a baby blessing and there were a lot of visitors. Among them was a special needs girl who appeared to be in her teens to mid-20's. She was sitting by a widow in our ward (who looked a little confused), and appeared to be with the family in front of her.

During the sacrament it was dead quiet, when we hear “ B O R I N G ! ”, loud enough for the entire congregation to hear. This continued every few minutes during the meeting. My kids were amused by the whole deal. Brought some excitement to sacrament meeting. A little boy behind us was totally freaked out. As the deacon was passing the sacrament, she took a piece of bread and the deacon tried to pass the tray to the scared little boy. He was so freaked that he wouldn’t even look her in her direction to take the tray. So, she saw this as her opportunity to help herself to the bread. I believe she got 5-6 more pieces until a man in the row behind them moved the tray along. Can’t blame a girl for trying. After all, it was Fast Sunday.

Following the sacrament the teacher “standing guard” by the doors got up to open the doors, so she took his seat! Poor confused boy didn’t know what to do. I guess he moved because she sat there the remainder of the meeting, continuing to chant loudly, “ B O R I N G ! ”, alternated with “ D I N G D O N G !”

I was trying not be judgmental, but I was wondering why her family was not having her sit with them and/or ssshhhing her. They did neither. A few minutes before the meeting was over I noticed she was gone. Long story short, she was not a visitor for the baby blessing, but a member of the ward that meets before us and just decided to join our sacrament meeting. I guess she wanted more bread.

wahwee said...

In Relief Society yesterday someone farted, loud. And there were no babies in the room.

Who wouldn't love church?

sugarbritches said...

It was me. I visited your ward.

dishes and laundry said...

Aaron is the exact opposite - he's like a little old Catholic man with pictures of Jesus everywhere. He even has a (I am not kidding)spinning illuminated crystal Jesus statue on top of his dresser. It's all in an attempt to get rid of his neverending "bad thoughts and bad dreams". It's like a shrine in there. The Jesus statue didn't help, but the Tylenol PM he takes every night sure does.

Awesome story Wahwee. Sometimes you just want to pop the popcorn and watch the show at church.

I think Dr. Oz and all his gas talk has made farting in public acceptable. I was in a class at the gym and during the quiet music/cool down/abdominal time, a gal was farting about every other sit up.

mandi said...

That's so funny! And Valerie - your story was hilarious as well. You need to blog more, seriously. It's a new quarter already.