At sister lunch yesterday (for those who don't know, every Wednesday all the Moore sisters and sister in law (when she can) and our ma and pa go to lunch without fail). It's quite fun except for the leg wrestling over where we are going that week. We have good time and laugh a lot and we are very loud. The other day Natalie showed us her new gym membership card which makes her look like a pair of boobs with a shrunken head on top. We laughed hysterically talking too loudly about all you can see are her ginormous boobs. We realized after a bit that the construction workers next to us were laughing at our conversation. Not that we were egotistical enough to assume their snickering was due to our imagined hilariousness, but you can tell by a persons demeanor that they are eavesdropping. I could only imagine what they thought about our conversation. Probably threw up a little in their mouths. Oh well, as long as we think we're amusing that's all that matters. Anyhoo (by the way, I use the word "anyhoo" frequently, not because I honestly think "anyhoo" is a truly trendy word, but I use it because it's such a stupid word and it amuses me to say it) I digress (over and over). My point about sister lunch was that at the end of it yesterday we began discussing best family tag lines and thought it would be really fun to start gathering these moments/lines and present the collection. Here is a sampling(with brief explanation for blog visitors):
There's the little farter! (said by tactless Tom after poor little proper katie passed a little gas at a sunday dinner and we all laughed and she ran away hiding in embarrassment. Natalie talked with her and told her no one would say anything to her if she came back into the room- AFTER telling all of us not to say anything. She walked back into the room and Tom said his infamous line causing Katie to run away again)
I got run over by a truck. (pronounced by four year old Gary in the morning after an apparent nightmare.)
Maw (my-valley girl accent) hair is twelve fingers long (said by Madison, while actually playing with her hair and oogling dreamily some handsome lad - josh tuttle or someone like that)
I slept for almost an hour (again pronounced by a young Gary after waking up from a nap while traveling in the yellow smelly tobogan which was our station wagon on a trip to Arizona.
Please submit your entries!
Happy St. Patrick's Day 2026
7 months ago
10 comments:
"We prayed Ryan would die." Hillary's quote after ryan (that jerk) decided to lock the nieces and nephews outside, and upon them being let in, generally stated that they had prayed...and grandma finding out that it wasn't help they were praying for.
"Knowest thou the condensation of God?" Read it carefully...Mom quoting (sort of) the Book of Mormon at the usual nativity puppet scene on Christmas Eve.
"Its a Batman Mask." More of a common saying among the moores if you bought something useless. When i was younger i bought a 50 dollar authentic batman mask...which sits in my closet to this day, you may use in the following example, "Jim, don't by the 100 dollar potato peeling raquetball racket, its a batman mask!"
First, a little clarification. It is Madisen and she said her hair was 13 fingers long. She was staring at cousin David Hyatt the first time she met him. What a dreamboat!
"Who left this bag of sugar on the porch?" That ever-so-bright Tom upon leaving our condo (when you and I lived in the same condo building whilst building our houses) made that comment when we left one of Madisen's poopy diapers on the porch.
Speaking of living in the condos and dorky Tom, remember when I knew you had left and Hillary (about 4 or 5 @ the time) was home with him and then we saw Tom get in his car and leave . . . without Hillary. Not a saying, but a memory.
What about Hillary (at about age 2) running around the house saying, "Daddy's asleep!" "Daddy's asleep!" while Tom was "tending" her.
"It was to be expected." Tom's response to learning that one of the sisters had given birth.
I'll get in trouble with Loud Boy for this one. "It was free, and it didn't cost anything."
Moore family memory. Wendy coming into our house and calmly saying to Dad, "I think something's wrong with my car." Upon going outside to see the orange pinto's engine in flames, Dad's reply, "IT'S ON FIRE!"
those are great!! I'm adding those to the collection!
sorry, madiSEN. I'll try to remember Barley.
I love that I'm familiar w/ almost all of these stories - and even a part of one. Seriously, I'm jealous of how much fun your family has when you get together. I'm always saying to my Mom, "the Moore family is doing such and such, or why don't we try this, the Moore family always does it this way". She just reminds me that we are not you. Troy and I always used to ditch my family on Sundays to come over to your parent's house - so much more going on and we'd laugh a lot harder.
When I was growing up, Valerie was the friend w/ the cool older sisters, the trampoline, the strict rules about what was allowed on Sunday (no pants!), and the fun stories about Montana and Arizona. I spent more time in family scripture study with your family than I did with my own.
Thanks for always including me!
That was no pants for the girls - the boys still had to wear them
Wendy I think we need to verify that we had to wear dresses on Sunday, the way it sounded was that the girls walked around with just underwear on but the boys wore pants! Wendy since we consider you family and you are welcome over anytime, we should include more quotes involving you. The infamous time when Ashby saw your Aaron for the first time and exclaimed seeing the cute boy that was all hair. "Look at him hair". And we cant forget sweet quiet little baby Katie when we went to gardener village for lunch. Katie was so quiet and sweet, when all of sudden she loudly exclaimed "Want Soup!" She saved her talking for the important things, and I will kindly say , as a child Katie looked like a girl who had her fair share of soup. I am happy to say she is quiet the slim girl now, her cute little gymnastic figure! Also I cant remember the details, so someone help me, when our scripture experts Jim and I think Gary were very helpful; and explaining that the Liahona was the thing Joseph Smith used to translate the book of Mormon. Please help on the details of the story if you can.
Sorry I wasn't more clear - the girls had to wear dresses! Were we allowed to talk on the phone on Sundays?
Here's one more that involves me, (sorry, most of my memories with your family do involve, um, me).
We were camping with a bunch of you and Troy and the men went off and decided to place Troy's body at the bottom of a cliff, as if he'd tumbled to his death. All the men yelled for me to come gaze upon his mangled and broken body. Not falling for it one little bit, I admonished Troy to "try not to be a total dink" (edited for tender eyes). In my defense, I was a newlywed and didn't want Troy to joke about me having to live my life without him. I loved him so! Now, after almost 19 years of marriage, we talk about how I'm gonna knock him off for the insurance money.
I remember that!! That's a classic line we repeat often, un censored!
I love it!!!! I may do the same thing on my blog for my family memories!
Post a Comment